You’ve been waiting for the perfect time to start a DIY home remodeling project, but there just never seems to be enough time to start and finish an entire project. While this might be true for some DIY home improvements, there are dozens of things you can work on that can be completed in a weekend, or, for some, in just a day.
Easy DIY Home Remodeling Ideas for the Weekend
If you love design build, you probably also love DIY home remodeling. There are similar creative impulses involved, and both give you complete control over the look and feel of your home. Here are some easy DIY home remodeling ideas to get you inspired this weekend. Whether you want to spend a day painting or get the family together for some kid-friendly projects, you can expect to finish your weekend with a finished project, feeling satisfied and accomplished.
Pick a Home Painting Project
An easy way to completely change the way your home looks and feels is to simply paint. You don’t have to paint the entire house or even an entire room; for a great one-day home remodeling project, pick one section and paint away. Here are some ideas:
- Try creating an accent wall in one of your rooms.
- Repurpose an old piece of furniture by making small adjustments and then painting over the original color.
- Paint the trim and baseboards of your home for a cleaner, classier look.
- Paint your doors—this will add a ton of character to your home.
- Throw a fresh coat of paint on your vinyl or linoleum floors for an updated look without having to completely redo the flooring.
Modernize Your Home
This phrase can scare you away because of how broad and daunting it sounds. But in fact, you can modernize your home by making a few small changes. Remember to just pick one project when you’re pressed for time. It can be so much more overwhelming when you decide that this weekend’s project is to modernize your home. Instead, this weekend’s project should be one way to update the look and feel of your home. Here are some ideas:
- Add modern decor to your home by switching out old paintings or decorative pieces with items that fit your more modern taste. There are usually DIY versions of your favorite decor, so a fun way to get started is to browse your favorite home decor store online and figure out which items you could make on your own. Chances are, someone has already done it and you can find a step-by-step guide.
- Take on a refurbishing project and turn something old into something new.
- Install your own decorative tile around the fireplace to give it a fresh look.
- Redo your kitchen backsplash with more modern styles.
Create Fun and Kid-Friendly Spaces
If you want something that you can create as a family and then enjoy as a family, designing a kid-friendly space can be a great weekend project. Try making a kid’s art area. There are tons of great videos online that can walk you through this, but if the entire thing is too much for this weekend, just start with painting a chalkboard wall. Both the kids and the adults will get endless enjoyment out of it.